|On the New Hampshire State Register of Historic Places
On July 30, 2018, the Dalton Town Hall was added to the New Hampshire State
Register of Historic Places. We are very pleased to learn that this mark of
distinction has been bestowed on our little treasure, which has served our
community for many generations.
History of the Dalton Town Hall
For about thirty-five years after the town was incorporated, Dalton’s voters
conducted their Town Meetings in the homes, inns and taverns of various
residents, as well as the Congregational Church, which was built in 1830.
In 1844, the residents voted to “take the surplus money and build a Town-
House”. Before the building was completed in 1845, the town officials removed
a “stove and funnel” from the church (the Town had furnished the Church with
two stoves), and leaving the second stove with the Church, they put the other
in the new Town Hall. Within a couple of years, the town voted to use the
building for a school.
The appearance of the building has changed only a little since then. Most
notable is the addition at the rear of the building in the 1930’s to accommodate
additional classroom space, and the front of the building was closed in and a
porch added. The carriage sheds at the left side of the building, which were
owned by the Church, were removed in the mid-1990’s.
After the building ceased being used as a school, the Dalton Public Library was
moved into the back of the building on the main floor. In the large meeting
room, one can see the variations of wainscoting that give evidence of
renovations through the years.
Several organizations have used the Town Hall for meetings and events,
including the Riverside Grange, Dalton Historical Society, Ladies Aid and the
former Ladies Auxiliary (also known as the Firemen’s Auxiliary). Each group,
as well as individual citizens, have contributed to improvements in the building.
In 2009, a non-profit group, The Friends of the Dalton Town Hall was formed,
when the town offices were moved across the road to the former Dalton
Elementary School. The group was established to keep the historic Town Hall
open for year-round use, without the help of tax-payer dollars. The Friends
group has been very dedicated and continues to sponsor fund-raisers to
support the historic building.
|CLICK ON ANY PHOTO,
ABOVE TO VIEW